The Sound and the Fury Chapter 3 (April Sixth, 1928)
Jason Compson is the kind of person who would get his picture thrown darts at. Maybe if he'd change (his personality, not his clothes- if it's the Judge uniform, then definitely the clothes too), he'd be somewhat tolerable, but "once a bitch, always a bitch" (direct quote from Jason... irony at it's finest). Any last ember of hope for Jason there is extinguished. Unfortunate, but a very brilliant move on Faulkner's part.
Jason Compson is uncanny to the biblical character Judas, who is commonly known for receiving pieces of silver for betraying Jesus in Matthew 26:15; Both are blinded by the sweet taste of wealth, but bitter price. However, differences lie in the aspect that Judas is openly exposed at The Last Supper, but Jason is not truly exposed because his mother continues believing he is "the man of the house."
The common ground that all the Compson children, I found, is the condition of mental illness: Benjy is handicapped, Quintin is hell-bent on prestige, and Jason is money-grubbing. I choose to analyze Faulkner's intentional disposition of the Compson family to be an underlying message of the crumbling Old South; The family seems to be degrading parallel to the Old South (and the concept of affordable college education nowadays is fading too...). Through Jason, I think Faulkner is saying more than just this. Jason's racism and belittling of women is downright despicable, just like the belief of white supremacy in the Old South was. An example of this Jason's monologue in the hardware store where he says, "What this country needs is white labor. Let these dam trifling niggers starve for a couple years..." (Faulkner 198). However, Jason's spiteful nature was prevalent even as a child, evident when he would reveal all of Caddy's flaws out, strikingly different from Benjy and Quintin as they absolutely adore Caddy but Jason seems have prejudice against her, and when he would scam other little children into selling kites made from flour paste. As Jason becomes an adult, his actions become more disgusting; he steals his niece's money, lies to his mother, bashes on non-whites, etc. (So, Jason's sweater is definitely not boyfriend-material). Even with all the money he deceitfully acquired, it still could not change his malice-filled existence. Perhaps through this, Faulkner is suggesting that the South is so far antiquated that the only way out is for it to cease to exist, similar to how Jason is so far corrupt that the only peace brought will be from him ceasing to exist.
And with that, I conclude with the note that man made money, but money made him mad. If you want an example of this, then look no further than Jason in this chapter.
And with that, I conclude with the note that man made money, but money made him mad. If you want an example of this, then look no further than Jason in this chapter.
-LBugL
EXCELLENT! Oh the humor. Every little parenthesis I laughed. You certainly capture Jason very well. I love the "once a bitch always a bitch." So fitting. I think it is interesting how you compared Jason to Judas and the old south. You brought up a lot of interesting points on these two topics that I had not thought of before. You're blog rocks, Loveleen, and so do you.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite part of your blog is your humor. You never cease to make me laugh. You made some really good points about Jason. I agree with Tessa that it was interesting how you related Jason to Judas. That reference never crossed my mind, but it makes total sense given the date of chapter, his personality (especially the greed part), and the things he threatens to do to the Christ-like characters like Benjy and Disley. Great post overall!
ReplyDeleteWay to put this guy in his place Loveleen! I like how you twisted the opening line to reflect what Jason truly is. I never would have thought of it that way. Also, like the previous two comments, I really like the comparison of Jason to Judas, and I can see the similarity between them. Keep being funny1 :)
ReplyDelete('Post Sound and The Fury Blog Tribute' was great FYI) I'd just like to say that I truly enjoyed reading this because of your ability to connect to your blog readers, is there an official name for the readers?? The connections you made within and outside of the book gave a clear picture of the chapter. This post was extremely helpful!
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with your portrayal of Jason. I also liked your comparison between him and Judas, because I never thought about their connection, but it is so true. They are both greedy and will do anything for money.
ReplyDelete